“Legacy and Vision”
- The American Legion is turning 100 years young on March 15, 2019. American Legion Post 248 in Blue Ridge is planning to celebrate.
- The post, located in Fannin County, was chartered on February 07, 2002 by George D. Fletcher, Sr. (Lt. Col. Ret.)
- The organization as a whole traces its roots to March 15-17, 1919, in Paris, France, in the aftermath of World War I.
- The American Legion was federally chartered on Sept. 16, 1919, and quickly became an influential force at the national, state and local levels, dedicated to service to veterans, strong national defense, youth, and patriotism.
- A year after it was formed, The American Legion had chartered more than 5,400 local posts that continue to operate today. Since then it has grown to more than 13,000 posts around the world, and more than 2.2 million wartime-veteran members. Throughout its first century, The American Legion built a legacy on such accomplishments as leading the way to create U.S. Flag Code, helping start the Veterans Administration, drafting and getting passed the Servicemen’s Readjustment Act of 1944 – the GI Bill – which transformed America in the second half of the 20th century, and helping veterans receive benefits for health-care conditions based on their honorable service, including acceptance of Agent Orange exposure as service-connected. Today, The American Legion has nearly 3,000 accredited service officers worldwide who assist veterans with their benefits claims and other concerns.
- American Legion Auxiliary Post 248 will be hosting a dinner on Monday, March 4, 2019 to honor this commemoration of the Legion’s 100th birthday at the Veterans Conference Center in Blue Ridge.
- In the next few months, we will have a cake and coffee reception for the public.
All American Legion members are encouraged to attend.
Public Information Officer
American Legion Auxiliary Post 248
FetchYourNews.com attracts more than 300,000 page views and 3.5 million impressions per month for ad server. FYNTV attracts approximately 15,000 to 60,000 per week Facebook page reach. For the most effective, least expensive local advertising, call 706-276-6397 or visit advertise@FetchYourNews.com