BLUE RIDGE, Ga. – Winter Storm Inga has passed through our area. Temperatures dropped over night and the threat of icy roadways continues for Fannin County. Due to this threat, many businesses and organizations will be closed or opening late today.
Public Works Director Zack Ratcliff spoke of road conditions in Fannin County on Wednesday, Jan. 17: “They are bad everywhere. What did melt from the salt refroze overnight because of the temperature.”
Ratcliff warned that icy road conditions are not just on secondary roads, that even major thoroughfares such as Hwy. 515 are not safe to travel on at this time.
“If you have to get out, use extreme caution, but it is best not to get out at this time,” Ratcliff warned. “We (Public Works) are out working right now, and we are trying to get it knocked out the best we can.”
Georgia Governor Nathan Deal issued a State of Emergency that includes Fannin County.
In a statement, Deal said, “Following the latest update from the National Weather Service, and acting upon the recommendation from the state’s Emergency Operations Command, I’ve issued an executive order closing state government for non-essential personnel tomorrow,” said Deal. “The Georgia Department of Transportation (GDOT) will continue treating our roads and interstates. To ensure people’s safety and to allow GDOT to do its job, I urge people to remain home and off the roads. We will continue monitoring the weather and will provide updates as necessary.”
There are currently no shelters open at this time in Fannin County. If you are in need of assistance and it is not a life- threatening emergency, you can call the Fannin County Sheriff’s Office non-emergency line at 706-632-6022 or 706-632-2043. All life-threatening emergency calls should be placed to 911.
***UPDATED Jan. 17 9:30 a.m. **
Blue Ridge City Government Offices
Blue Ridge Mountains Arts Association (The Art Center)
Fannin County Chamber of Commerce
Fannin County Division of Family and Children Services (DFACS)
Fannin County Juvenile Court
Fannin County Government Offices
Fannin County Magistrate Court
Fannin County Schools (12-month personnel may be asked to report later in the day)
- Blue Ridge Elementary School
- East Fannin Elementary School
- Fannin County High School
- Fannin County Middle School
- West Fannin Elementary School
Fannin County Water Authority meeting cancelled for Wednesday, Jan. 17
McCaysville City Government Offices
LATEST WINTER WEATHER UPDATE:
Wind Chill Advisory until 10:00AM Thursday
…WIND CHILL ADVISORY NOW IN EFFECT UNTIL 10 AM EST THURSDAY… …WINTER WEATHER ADVISORY NOW IN EFFECT UNTIL 9 AM EST THIS MORNING…
* WHAT…Occasional light snow and very cold wind chills expected. Little or no additional accumulations are expected. Expect wind chills to range from 10 above zero to 10 below zero.
* WHERE…Fannin, Gilmer, Union, Towns, Pickens, Dawson, Lumpkin, and White Counties
* WHEN…For the Winter Weather Advisory, until 9 AM this morning. For the Wind Chill Advisory, until 10 AM Thursday.
* ADDITIONAL DETAILS…Roads will remain icy and treacherous as temperatures remain below freezing all day. If you must drive, use extreme caution. The cold wind chills may cause frostbite in as little as 30 minutes to exposed skin. PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS… A Winter Weather Advisory for snow means periods of snow will cause primarily travel difficulties. Be prepared for snow covered roads and limited visibilities, and use caution while driving. A Wind Chill Advisory means that cold air and the wind will combine to create low wind chills. Frost bite and hypothermia can occur if precautions are not taken. Make sure you wear a hat and gloves.
* AFFECTED AREAS: DAWSON … FANNIN … GILMER … LUMPKIN … PICKENS … TOWNS … UNION … WHITE